Thursday 12 March 2015

My teachers wanted me to tell you about this article

http://www.aftenposten.no/meninger/debatt/Er-vi-visuelle-analfabeter-6981119.html#.VQA6DPZBMuZ.facebook

This is a link to an article about the topic; "are we visually illiterate?" It talks about that we have got countless hours of language classes, but almost no classes about how to read and understand the images and pictures we surround ourselves with, every single day - and I get that. I see what they're trying to say.
Though the thing is; I find the art classes in the norwegian school extremely boring! Often it's the teacher, in my case, who's the boring one, or just plain mean actually.
And of course we learn to read and write more than we learn to see how an image is built up; everyone can see - it's a sense- but not everyone can read, none can without learning it! Reading is not a sense, we need to practise to know how to do it, but to look at a picture and get some sort of message out of it - all that takes, is eyes that work properly.

The article also says that it's easy to misunderstand images, if we don't know how to analyze them properly, but in my opinion, every person is different - every image is different - and every opinion and thought is different. No one will ever EVER understand anything in the exact same way; not books, not drawings, not poems, not articles - no nothing! I get that an image, like an art photography, has a specific meaning and so on, but hey, shouldn't ut be up to the one who looks at it, how they understand it?

Another point may be that we don't even get the chance to learn how to read images; but if you so badly want to learn it, then take classes, or even better; get yourself an education in it! Then you'll know how to read images like a badass!

My point is; I get what the article is saying, and I kind of agree, but I don't see at as a problem or that important really, just - if people would like to know, they can!


No comments:

Post a Comment